Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine for Aga Khan University
Location(s): Kenya; Uganda
A. An 18-month research and education capacity building programme in Integrated Primary Health Care in East Africa.
- Establishing New Training Programs and Mentorship Support through Exchange (MSE)
- Health System Strengthening
- Building Health Systems Research Capacity in Primary Care
The programme was successfully carried out between 2011 and 2013.
B. Stem Cell Programme
- Phase 1 (2015-2019)
A five-year start-up plan for a stem cell science and therapies that will establish the critical mass of stem cell researchers and the state-of-the-art infrastructure which are prerequisites to achieving these objectives. Specifically this phase involves:
- focused research;
- capacity building in basic, clinical and translational research;
- education and training;
- construction of core research facilities and regulatory frame works; and, public information, engagement and advocacy.
- Phase 2 (2020-2024)
Establish an AKU-Centre for Regenerative Medicine.