Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad

Investigator: Wendy Winkler Sawyer
Sponsor: Office of ED Postsecondary Education, US Department of Education

Location(s): Burundi; Comoros; Djibouti; Eritrea; Ethiopia; Kenya; Madagascar; Malawi; Mauritius; Mozambique; Rwanda; Seychelles; Somalia; South Sudan; Uganda; Tanzania; Zambia; Zimbabwe; Angola; Central African Republic; Chad; Congo (Kinshasa); Congo (Brazzaville); Equatorial Guinea; Gabon; Sao Tome and Principe; Sudan; Tunisia; Botswana; Lesotho; Namibia; South Africa; Swaziland; Benin; Burkina Faso; Cape Verde; Ivory Coast; Gambia; Ghana; Guinea; Guinea-Bissau; Liberia; Mali; Mauritania; Niger; Nigeria; Senegal; Sierra Leone; Togo; Afghanistan; Bangladesh; Bhutan; India; Maldives; Nepal; Pakistan; Sri Lanka; Brunei; Cambodia; Indonesia; Viet Nam; Laos; Malaysia; Singapore; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Philippines


This program provides grants to colleges and universities to fund individual doctoral students who conduct research in other countries, in modern foreign languages and area studies for periods of six to 12 months.

Types of Projects 

Projects deepen research knowledge on and help the nation develop capability in areas of the world not generally included in U.S. curricula. Projects focusing on Western Europe are not supported.

Expenses Covered by the Award

  • Travel expenses, including excess baggage to and from the residence of the fellow to the host country of research.
  • Maintenance and dependent(s) allowances based on the cost of living in country or countries of research for the fellow and his or her dependent(s).
  • Project allowance for research related expenses such as books, copying, tuition and affiliation fees, local travel, and other incidental expenses.
  • Health and accident insurance premiums.
  • An administrative fee of $100 to applicant institution.


A student is eligible to receive a Fulbright-Hays award if he or she meets all of the following criteria:

  • Is a citizen or national of the United States or is a permanent resident of the United States.
  • Is a graduate student in good standing at an institution of higher education in the United States who, when the fellowship begins, is admitted to candidacy in a doctoral program in modern foreign languages and area studies at that institution.
  • Is planning a teaching career in the United States upon graduation.
  • Possesses adequate skills in the language(s) necessary to carry out the dissertation project.

Application Process

Institutions of higher education in the United States are eligible to apply for grants under the Fulbright-Hays Doctoral Dissertation Research Abroad Program. Students must apply through their institutions.